Cloud Computing: Automating the Virtualized Data Center This is the eBook version of the printed book.
The complete guide to provisioning and managing cloud-based Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS) data center solutions
Cloud computing will revolutionize the way IT resources are deployed, configured, and managed for years to come. Service providers and customers each stand to realize tremendous value from this paradigm shift—if they can take advantage of it. Cloud Computing brings together the realistic, start-to-finish guidance they need to plan, implement, and manage cloud solution architectures for tomorrow’s virtualized data centers. It introduces cloud “newcomers” to essential concepts, and offers experienced operations professionals detailed guidance on delivering Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS), Platform as a Service (PaaS), and Software as a Service (SaaS).
This book’s replicable solutions and fully-tested best practices will help enterprises, service providers, consultants, and Cisco partners meet the challenge of provisioning end-to-end cloud infrastructures. Drawing on extensive experience working with leading cloud vendors and integrators, the authors present detailed operations workflow examples, proven techniques for operating cloud-based network, compute, and storage infrastructure; a comprehensive management reference architecture; and a complete case study demonstrating rapid, lower-cost solutions design.
Cloud Computing will be an indispensable resource for all network/IT professionals and managers involved with planning, implementing, or managing the next generation of cloud computing services.
Venkata (Josh) Josyula, Ph.D., CCIE® No. 13518 is a Distinguished Services Engineer in Cisco Services Technology Group (CSTG) and advises Cisco customers on OSS/BSS architecture and solutions.
Malcolm Orr, Solutions Architect for Cisco’s Services Technology Solutions, advises telecoms and enterprise clients on architecting, building, and operating OSS/BSS and cloud management stacks. He is Cisco’s lead architect for several Tier 1 public cloud projects.
Greg Page has spent the last eleven years with Cisco in technical consulting roles relating to data center architecture/technology and service provider security. He is now exclusively focused on developing cloud/IaaS solutions with service providers and systems integrator partners.
· Review the key concepts needed to successfully deploy clouds and cloud-based services
· Transition common enterprise design patterns and use cases to the cloud
· Master architectural principles and infrastructure designs for “real-time” managed IT services
· Understand the Cisco approach to cloud-related technologies, systems, and services
· Develop a cloud management architecture using ITIL, TMF, and ITU-TMN standards
· Implement best practices for cloud service provisioning, activation, and management
· Automate cloud infrastructure to simplify service delivery, monitoring, and assurance
· Choose and implement the right billing/chargeback approaches for your business
· Design and build IaaS services, from start to finish
· Manage the unique capacity challenges associated with sporadic, real-time demand
· Provide a consistent and op